The Memorial of Saint William of Gellone
Saint William of Gellone Date of Birth, Country of Birth, Profession, Place of Work, Date of Death, Place of Death, Feast Day, Beatification Date, Canonization DateMatrimony/Holy OrdersMarried People who became Saints
Saint William of Gellone brief life History
|Date of Birth||755 AD|
|Country of Birth||France in Europe|
|Profession||Second Duke of Toulouse and founder of the abbey of Gellone|
|Place of Work||France|
|Date of Death||28 May 812 or 28 May 814|
|Place of Death||Gellone, near Lodève|
|Feast Day||28 May|
|Beatification||By Not Available|
|Canonization||By Pope Alexander II in 1066|
|Patron Saint of|
Saint William of Gellone Short life History
Saint William of Gellone is also known as
• William of Aquitaine
• William of Orange
• William of Toulouse
• Willliam Fierabrace
• William in the Desert
• Marquis au court nez
• He was born to the nobility, the son of Aldana and Count Thierry of Toulouse.
• He was a career soldier.
• He was a member of the court of Blessed Charlemagne.
• He was Duke of Aquitaine.
• He led forces against the Saracens in southern France.
• In retirement he built a monastery at Gellone, France, and became a Benedictine monk there; the house was later named Saint-Guilhem-du-Desert in his honour.
• His reputation for chivalry, bravery and piety led to medieval romances being written about him including the Chançun de Guillaume (Song of William).
Today’s Catholic Quote:
Saint William of Gellone was born in 755 in France and died in 812 of natural causes in the monastery that was later re-named Saint William in the Desert in his honour