The Memorial of Saint Jose María Robles Hurtado
Saint Jose María Robles Hurtado is the Patron Saint of
Saint Jose María Robles Hurtado brief life History
|Date of Birth||May 3, 1888|
|Country of Birth||Mexico in South America||Matrimony/Holy Orders||Priests who became Saints|
|Profession||Mexican priest martyred during the Cristero War|
|Place of Work||Mexico|
|Date of Death||June 26, 1927 (aged 39)|
|Place of Death||Quila, Jalisco, Mexico|
|Feast Day||26 June|
|Beatification||By Pope John Paul II in November 22, 1992|
|Canonization||By Pope John Paul II in May 21, 2000|
|Patron Saint of|
Saint Jose María Robles Hurtado Short life History
Saint José María Robles Hurtado was born to a fervently Catholic family, the son of Antonio Robles and Petronila Hurtado.
• He entered the seminary of Guadalajara, Mexico at age 12.
• He was ordained on 22 March 1913 at age 25 at Guadalajara.
• He was consecrated to the Sacred Eucharistic Heart of Jesus, and in 1918 founded the Congregation of Victims of the Eucharistic Heart of Jesus (Hermanas del Corazón de Jesús Sacramentado) at Nochistlan, Zacatecas, Mexico. The congregation was dedicated to pastoral health and education, assisting orphanages, and conducting missions. Today it is known as the Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
• He became a parish priest in Tocolotlan in 1920.
• During the persecutions of the Mexican Revolution, priests were outlawed; parishioners urged Father Jose to run, but he could not abandon his people. He was arrested on 25 June 1927 for presiding at Mass in private homes; he was at a make-shift altar when soldiers broke in to grab him. He was hanged from an oak tree the next day, after having blessed and forgiven his captors; he kissed and blessed the rope, and put around his own neck so no executioners would not be guilty of the murder.
• He is one of the Martyrs of the Cristera War.
Today’s Catholic Quote:
Saint Jose María Robles Hurtado was born on 3 May 1888 at Mascota, Jalisco, Mexico and died after being hanged on 26 June 1927 at Quila, Jalisco, Mexico. His relics are at the church at Tecolotlan